How to Write Website Copy that Generates More Leads
June 22, 2023
It’s time to unleash your website’s lead-generating superpowers! Picture this: Your website is the superhero of your online presence, equipped with the power to skyrocket brand awareness, turbocharge sales, and summon an army of fresh leads. But here’s the catch—if your website copy isn’t up to the challenge, you’re missing out on a golden opportunity for revenue.
Not to worry! We’re about to equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to craft website copy that captivates, converts, and compels visitors to take action. Get ready to witness the transformation of your online storefront into a lead-generating force.
At Cross & Crown, we’re here to crack the code and reveal the secret to generating more leads through well-crafted copy on your website. Your website copy needs to be the hero that tells visitors who you are, what you do, and why they should care—all while leaving them craving more. Powerful and persuasive web copy is clear, concise, and effective at leaving a lasting impression.
In this blog post, we’ll share our best tips on how to write website copy that generates more leads. We’ll cover everything from crafting attention-grabbing headlines to developing a winning narrative with a consistent brand voice. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, the tips in this article can help you unleash your inner wordsmith to revolutionize your writing strategy.
Let’s dive into the magic of website copy that turns visitors into devoted fans and propels your business to new heights.
1. Start with a Strong Headline
Sometimes called a hero statement, a strong headline is important for making a good first impression and is usually located somewhere in the top-fold of your website. Your headline should be clear, concise, and attention-grabbing.
Here are some tips for writing a strong headline:
- Keep it short and to the point. Your headline should be no more than 7 words long.
- Use strong verbs. Verbs are action words that will grab your readers’ attention.
- Use power words. Power words are words that evoke emotion or create a sense of urgency.
- Ask a question. Questions can be a great way to get your readers thinking and engaged.
- Use numbers. Numbers are attention-grabbing and can help you quantify your benefits.
Writing a strong headline makes the difference between a website that gets noticed and a website that gets ignored.
2. Know Your Target Audience
Knowing your target audience is essential. Although it can seem counterintuitive at first, you must be willing to niche down to a specific target audience.
When you know who you’re writing for, you can tailor your copy to their desires and interests. This will make your copy more persuasive because it connects with their wants, needs, and preferences.
Here are a few steps you can take to get to know your target audience:
- Research your target market. This includes understanding their demographics, psychographics, and buying behavior. You can use tools like Google Analytics and social media analytics to collect this information.
- Talk to your customers. The best way to learn about your target audience is to talk to them directly. Ask them about their needs, wants, and pain points. You can do this through surveys, interviews, and focus groups.
- Create buyer personas. Buyer personas are fictional representations of your ideal customers. They can help you to better understand your target audience and tailor your copy to their needs.
- Use social listening. Social listening is the process of monitoring and analyzing social media conversations about your brand, products, and services. This can help you to identify what your target audience is saying about you and your competitors in real time. This information can help you to improve your products and services, develop more effective marketing campaigns, and build stronger relationships with your customers.
Once you know your target audience, you can start writing website copy that speaks specifically to them.
3. Create a Consistent Brand Voice
Creating a consistent voice is essential for any business that wants to build a strong brand. A true-to-you tone and style helps customers to identify with your brand and feel like they know you. It also makes your brand memorable and entices potential customers to keep coming back for more.
Here are a few actions you can take to create a consistent brand voice:
- Define your brand personality. What kind of company do you want to be? Are you friendly and approachable, or are you more formal and professional? Once you know your brand personality, you can start to develop a voice that reflects it.
- Use the same language and tone throughout your marketing materials. This means using the same words, phrases, and tone of voice on your website, in your email marketing, and on social media.
- Use a style guide. A style guide is a document that outlines the rules for using your brand’s voice. This can include things like the tone of voice, the use of jargon, and the preferred spelling and punctuation.
A consistent brand voice is a powerful tool that can help you create a memorable brand as you build trust and credibility.
4. Use Clear Calls to Action
A call to action is a statement that tells your visitors what you want them to do. It could be something like “Sign up for our newsletter” or “Buy now.”
Strong calls to action are clear, concise, and persuasive. They tell your visitors exactly what you want them to do and they make it easy for them to do it.
Here are some tips for writing strong calls to action:
- Use strong verbs. Verbs are action words, and they can help to make your calls to action more persuasive. For example, instead of saying “Subscribe to our newsletter,” say “Sign up for our newsletter today.”
- Use specific benefits. Tell your visitors what they will get if they take action. For example, instead of saying “Download our free ebook,” you could say “Download our free ebook and learn how to boost your SEO fast.
- Use specific language. Instead of saying “Learn more,” say “Learn more about our products and services.”
- Use urgency. Create a sense of urgency by telling your visitors that they need to act now. For example, you could say “Limited time offer!” or “Hurry, while supplies last!”
- Make it easy to take action. Buttons or links to make it even easier for your visitors to take action.
By using strong calls to action, you can encourage your visitors to take the next step and go deeper with your brand.
5. Make Your Copy Scannable
Never underestimate the power of formatting! Making your copy scannable is essential for getting your message across in a busy online world. Most people don’t have the time or attention to read long, dense paragraphs. They want to be able to scan your copy quickly and find the information they’re looking for.
Here are a few formatting tips to make your copy scannable:
- Use short paragraphs. No more than four or five lines per paragraph.
- Use bullet points and numbered lists. This will help to break up your text and make it easier to read.
- Use bold, italics, and underlining. This will help to highlight important information.
- Use white space. Don’t be afraid to leave some space between paragraphs and around your text. This will make your copy easier to read and scan.
- Use images and videos. Images and videos can help to break up your text and make your copy more visually appealing.
No one wants to read huge walls of text! By using these simple formatting tips you can make your copy easier to read and understand.
6. Optimize Your Copy for SEO
Optimizing your copy for search engines is essential for getting your website found by potential customers. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving your website’s ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs).
Here are a several ways to optimize your copy for search engines like Google:
- Use relevant keywords throughout your copy. When you use relevant keywords, you’re telling search engines what your content is about.
- Use keyword-rich titles and meta descriptions. Your title and meta description are the first things people will see in SERPs, so make sure they’re keyword-rich and informative.
- Structure your content well. Your content should be well-structured and easy to read. This means using headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break up your text.
7. Use Social Proof
Social proof is the idea that people are more likely to trust and believe something if they see that other people do too. If necessary, take the time to get your happy customers to write reviews for you. These testimonials are worth their weight in gold.
Here are a few different ways you can use social proof on your website:
- Testimonials: Testimonials are a great way to show potential customers what other people think of your product or service. You can collect testimonials from customers on your website, social media, or through email marketing.
- Reviews: Reviews are another great way to show social proof. You can collect reviews from customers through Google My Business. If you know you have a happy customer, send them the link and ask for a review!
- Brand ambassadors: Brand ambassadors are people who love your product or service so much that they’re willing to promote it to their friends and followers. You can find brand ambassadors through social media, email marketing, or through word-of-mouth.
The real benefit to social proof is this—readers may be more likely to let their guard down when they can identify with the words of your customers.
Writing Website Copy That Works
Mastering the art of writing website copy that generates more leads may take time and dedicated practice. However, you can learn from the insights of successful writers and watch your copywriting open new doors of opportunity that will grow your business.
At Cross & Crown, we have an entire team dedicated to making content that builds brands, grows your bottom line, and represents your mission well. If you need help bringing your website to life or even reimagining it completely, reach out and let’s talk! We would love to help.